The International Rhino Foundation is celebrating Giving Tuesday, a national day of generosity. We’re delighted to announce that your gift will go three times as far on Giving Tuesday, making a big impact for rhinos and the local communities working to protect them during this incredibly challenging time.
A long-time IRF supporter has already agreed to match every gift made until December 31st, and now, another generous donor has added a second match for Giving Tuesday.
Despite the COVID-19 pandemic and government shutdowns around the world, conservation was not cancelled in 2020.?Rangers and monitors have stayed in the field, continuing to protect rhinos while facing unprecedented challenges this year.
Rhino reserves and the local communities surrounding them have been hit with huge economic losses as travel and tourism have ground to a halt and governments and donors have reduced their conservation budgets. But with your support, IRF has been able to keep critical rhino protection and monitoring teams throughout Africa and Asia safe and employed.
We are stronger with you.?With your help this year, we were able to:
- Provide more than $260,000 in emergency grants to 10 rhino reserves in Southern Africa to help?pay staff salaries, purchase health and safety equipment, and keep rangers and monitors in the field where they are needed.
- Fund 31 Rhino and Wildlife Protection Units in Indonesia – teams from local communities that?monitor and protect all of the world’s remaining habitats for Javan and Sumatran rhinos.
- Partner with the Southern African Wildlife College to train rangers and K9 units throughout Africa and?operate the K9 and aerial support units in Kruger National Park, home to the largest concentration of rhinos on the planet.
- Hire farmers in Indonesia to?grow and plant trees and create 210 acres of new habitat?for Javan and Sumatran rhinos.
- Began?tracking several Sumatran rhinos for eventual translocation?into our conservation breeding program.
In IRF’s nearly 30-year history, we have never faced a year like this one, and your support has never been more crucial as we face decreases in revenue and increases in expenses, both caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.